Hive and British Gas – a Tale of Two Businesses
Chris Beanland, Head of New Products, Hive talks about the strategic rationale behind Hive, how they operate, get to market and the challenges of working as a small startup within a large corporation.
- Hive operates independently of British Gas.
- Uses Lean Startup Method = Customer Development + Agile Development
- Recognises that ‘Hive’ advert is an acquired taste – “a bit weird” – but has created awareness for consumers of product and category.
- Take approach that they spend huge amount of time with customers and potential customers, understand what they want and then try to produce that. Not technology centric at all.
- Still a very small business.
The BLN is now Business of Software
Business of Software runs conferences for people that build great software businesses and products. To access talks online, hear about new events, contact speakers and stay in touch with great ideas, share your email address with us.
We'll NEVER sell your email. Unsubscribe anytime.